[openstack-dev] [summit] Youtube stream from Design Summit?

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 08:28:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>wrote:

> On 11/01/2013 05:33 AM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> > I was wondering, since there is a lot of people who cannot attend Design
> > Sessions, if we can help them to be present at least in some way.
>
> We tried in the past to setup systems to enable remote participation in
> a generic way (give a URL per each session and hope somebody joins it
> from remote) but never had enough return to justify the effort put in
> the production.
>
> I'd be interested to learn about your experiments: are you thinking of
> some specific set of people that you need to get involved remotely or
> you just want to provide the remote URL for anybody that wants to join?

I attended a few Nova sessions remotely at the Havana summit, actively
participating in one.
I was at the other end of a Google Hangout on a colleague's laptop.

IMO video doesn't really matter as the most critical thing to see is the
etherpad
which can be viewed easily. Most of the time I ended up typing directly
into the etherpad to communicate
back to the session (and people were looking out for comments).

I think the most critical component is the audio. An audio stream with
multiple mic pickups throughout
the room may be sufficient and you can't rely on people remembering to
speak into microphones when the
conversation is moving around the room a lot. And it's never going to be as
good as attending in person.

Chris