[openstack-dev] [horizon] BootstrapV3 and lessc

Sascha Peilicke speilicke at suse.com
Mon Nov 4 15:28:15 UTC 2013

On Monday 04 November 2013 13:49:20 Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 11/04/2013 11:41 AM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > On Monday 04 November 2013 10:52:21 Maxime Vidori wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I talked with Jiri Tomasek who is currently in charge of the integration
> >> of
> >> Bootstrap V3 into Horizon. The integration is currently stuck and was
> >> waiting for almost two month that lesscpy could parse the Bootstrap v3
> >> less
> >> template. I know that Nodejs was removed because of some dependencies
> >> issues in production environment, but we do not need Node in production
> >> environment.
>
> We didn't had nodejs for a long time in fedora, because it used to
> bundle a lot of code from other projects.
> The other issue is, that is a quite fast moving project. When you want a
> stable platform, you probably don't want to update every two to four
> weeks to a newer minor-version, and probably want to avoid new major
> versions at all.
>
> So, it ended up in: we compiled LESS code offline and combined that with
> the package. That is not ideal at all for folks changing the style to
> give their dashboard another look. I assume, that's a pretty common
> situation.

Just to give people an impression, this is a RPM spec file stripped of
everything except the nodejs / offline compression parts:
http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/8915603 (as seen in [0])

Of course you can bet that your usual consultancy-based PoC deployment won't
care about such details o:-)

> > Regardless of that, nodejs is a huge dependency of which not that many
> > people have long experience with. While I know that nodejs is the new
> > fancy of web development, things where radically different less than 2
> > years ago. It will the same in 2 years from now. That's why distros want
> > to avoid it if they can. You simply don't know how reliable upstream is.
> > What happens if they need to fix a security issue in that crappy old
> > release that happens to be shipped in, say, openSUSE-12.2.
>
> Exactly, just compare the binary size with the size of less sourcecode
> in horizon sourcecode at all.
>
> So, that being said, dropping lesscss in favor of re-integrating node.js
> is a big step backwards. If there's something missing in lesscpy, we
> should fix that.
>
> Matthias

[0]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Cloud:OpenStack:Grizzly/openstack-dashboard/openstack-dashboard.spec?expand=1