[openstack-dev] [horizon] BootstrapV3 and lessc

Maxime Vidori maxime.vidori at enovance.com
Mon Nov 4 09:52:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

I talked with Jiri Tomasek who is currently in charge of the integration of Bootstrap V3 into Horizon. The integration is currently stuck and was waiting for almost two month that lesscpy could parse the Bootstrap v3 less template. I know that Nodejs was removed because of some dependencies issues in production environment, but we do not need Node in production environment. When node was removed it was compiling the less template at runtime, this is useful in development but not in production. Maybe it is possible to perform a dist task which will compile the less template for the package target.

If we keep lesscpy we will have to maintain it every time less pre processor will upgrade, it is a lot of work in addition for few benefits. Currently, a review is waiting for the integration of bootstrap https://review.openstack.org/#/c/49710/ using lessc (node compiler).

I need your reviews on this topic because a lot of work is currently done for the ui of Horizon and the integration of Bootstrap v3 is a huge bottleneck for further development.