[openstack-dev] Migrating to newer full projects from what used to be part of nova

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Sat Nov 2 13:46:13 UTC 2013

> Migrations from Essex to Grizzly/Havana

I would find it entirely suitable to upgrade from Essex to Folsom, then
> migrate from nova-volume to cinder and from nova-network to quantum, then
> only to upgrade to Grizzly.

We're in the same spot, upgrading an Essex deployment to Havana. We decided
to forego an incremental upgrade of nova, glance and keystone since it was
not clear that we could perform that upgrade without a major service
disruption to active VMs. Additionally we had no good way of fully testing
the upgrade beforehand.

However, we have a nova-volume service hosting ~ 500TB of volume data (>
200 volumes) using the ZFS driver. We'd like to be able to "carry" these
volumes over the upgrade to cinder. Our current strategy is to deploy
cinder and nova-volume on the same machine with separate ZFS pools. When a
user's ready to upgrade a volume, they hit a button; a script fires off 1)
creating a new cinder volume, 2) rename the nova-volume in ZFS to the new
cinder one and 3) deleting the old nova-volume record.

That's the plan, at least.

~ Scott