[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler]The database access in the scheduler filters

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 10:28:32 UTC 2013

On Nov 1, 2013 10:20 AM, "John Garbutt" <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:

> Its intentional. Cells is there to split up your nodes into more
> manageable chunks.
>
> There are quite a few design summit sessions on looking into
> alternative approaches to our current scheduler.
>
> While I would love a single scheduler to make everyone happy, I am
> thinking we might end up with several scheduler, each with slightly
> different properties, and you pick one depending on what you want to
> do with your cloud.

Agreed.

> John
>
> On 31 October 2013 22:39, Jiang, Yunhong <yunhong.jiang at intel.com> wrote:
> > I noticed several filters (AggregateMultiTenancyIsoaltion, ram_filter,
type_filter, AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter) have DB access in the
host_passes(). Some will even access for each invocation.

As you noticed, not all filters make sense for a large system.

> > Just curios if this is considered a performance issue? With a 10k
nodes, 60 VM per node, and 3 hours VM life cycle cloud, it will have more
than 1 million DB access per second. Not a small number IMHO.