[openstack-dev] Migrating to newer full projects from what used to be part of nova

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 03:02:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Jesse Pretorius
<jesse.pretorius at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 31 October 2013 18:46, John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com>wrote:
>
>> Upgrading Essex->Folsom introduced both the challenge of upgrading
>> nova-volume to cinder and the challenge of upgrading nova-network to
>> quantum. Upgrading Folsom->Grizzly presents the challenge of migrating
>> nova-network to quantum and assumes that nova-volume has already been
>> migrated to cinder. Upgrading Grizzly->Havana finally closes the door on
>> nova-network as far as I can see, although I may be wrong.

To clarify a bit, while deprecated, nova-network has not lost any
functionality in Havana yet.  It also hasn't gained much (if any), but it
still works.  The majority of the testing is performed using nova-network
and not neutron (yet).

It comes down to the fact that while we cater for migrating between
> versions of a particular project we don't cater particularly well for
> migrating between projects when a project splits out from a parent project
> as was the case for both of the above.

I am not aware of any effort to do a migration from nova-network to
neutron, we certainly don't have it in grenade's near future.  The
differences are large and the development cost for that sort of migration
is significant for something that a given deployment is only going to use
once.  It isn't a technical problem but a resource problem.

Also, FWIW, I don't see another one of these situations coming anytime
soon.  All of the new project activity is around new services/features.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com