[openstack-dev] [Infra] [Tempest] [Ironic] Testing Ironic

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Nov 1 02:00:27 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 04:38 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ironic has reached a point where it is capable of being added to
> integration tests and the gate pipeline. Does that mean we /should/ add
> it? I think so, and I'd like to know what others think, but let me be
> more specific about what I'm talking about.

Yes, we should - with caveats.

> At this point, it is possible for devstack to start ironic-api and
> ironic-conductor services, register them with keystone, init the db,
> etc. Then, tempest [1] can perform basic actions like create, update,
> delete records. Testing the hardware drivers will come later, which is
> where we'll see integration tests with glance, neutron, etc, become more
> important.
>
> Roman has been working on enabling these tests [2] and I'd like to nudge
> the reviewers of the tempest and infra teams to take a look at his
> patches. At the very least, I'd like to make folks aware of this work so
> we can all discuss it at the summit.

Basically, we've been wanting for a while to see gate integration before
something graduates incubation - but there is a chicken and egg sitch
where we can't REALLY add it to the gate until after graduation.

So, I think what we want to do is add the tests to tempest/devstack, and
then make a job that only runs on ironic changes that runs that. That
will show us that you're ready once graduation review comes up.

I'll look at the infra patches (it's been slow with jeblair out)