[openstack-dev] Import ordering for oslo imports

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri May 31 14:38:53 UTC 2013

On 05/31/2013 10:33 AM, David Ripton wrote:
> hacking's HACKING.rst says:
>
>   {{stdlib imports in human alphabetical order}}
>   \n
>   {{third-party lib imports in human alphabetical order}}
>   \n
>   {{nova imports in human alphabetical order}}
>   \n
>   \n
>   {{begin your code}}
>
> But should oslo imports (in code outside oslo itself) go in the
> third-party section or the project section?  oslo is kind of both --
> it's a separate project but it's part of OpenStack, not truly third-party.
>
> I've seen it both ways in code I've reviewed lately, and it would be
> nice to be consistent.

It depends what you mean by oslo imports.  IMO:

A released oslo library is third-party to the project it is being used
by (example: oslo-config).

Any code imported into the project from oslo-incubator is under the
project's namespace (example: nova.openstack.common.rpc) and should be
included with the project's imports.

--
Russell Bryant