[openstack-dev] TC membership evolution, take 2

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri May 31 12:51:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 07:49 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Or, since we're technical:
>
> slots = dict(
>     compute=None,
>     storage=None,
>     networking=None,
>     infra=None,
>     ops=None,
>     cross=None)
> at_large = list()
>
> for candidate in election_results_sorted_by_rank:
>     ptl = candidate.get_ptl_category()
>     if not slots[ptl]:
>         slots[ptl] = candidate
>         continue
>     if len(at_large) < 7:
>         at_large.append(candidate)
>         continue

I gave a talk on OpenStack governance at a local meetup a couple of
weeks ago. I'm already not delighted at how bureaucratic we seem. This
would take the biscuit :)

I'm honestly not sure I'd ever get to a point where I can explain this
off the top of my head to a newbie in a reasonable amount of time.

At some point, a governance structure seems so overly bureaucratic for
the task at hand that many pragmatic, "I just want to build stuff"
people won't even care to take the time to figure out the structure.

Cheers,
Mark.