[openstack-dev] TC membership evolution, take 2

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri May 31 12:04:21 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 05/31/2013 06:21 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> I've seen that happening in other projects I've been involved with...
>> and personally I think we should make our best to prevent that from
>> happening. This is why I favor more "representative" models like the
>> "Best 7 PTLs + 6" or the "All-directly-elected 11" models.
>
> Honestly, I think John's list isn't bad (it's not perfect, and it never
> will be - why are docs and CI in one? on the other hand, why not? meh...)
>
> I think what it points out to me is that what I want is:
>
> Some amount of direct representation - because populist democracy is good
> Some amount of categorical representation - because populist democracy
> is bad
>
> So I'm in favor of either the "Base 7 PTLs + 6 direct" but ... what if
> we combine the two and have a rep from each of a set of categories
> (similar to John's category list) and then a set of direct.

Now that's interesting :) It ensures variety in the nature of the
"vertical" representation, while maintaining enough directly-elected
seats to maintain good representativity. Let me add it to the wiki page.

> [...]
> Then just do a single election with everyone running as individual
> members, and when we're filling out winners, start with the top vote
> getter, see if they are the PTL for any of the projects or programs, if
> so, that person fills the requirement that we have a PTL from that
> category. Then, for each person down the list, if their category is
> already represented, then they become an at-large seat. If all the
> at-large seats are filled but the categories are not, then we keep going
> down the list of results until we find the top vote getting person who
> fulfills the requirement that we have representation from that category.

That could work. The only additional requirement is that every
project/program elects a PTL. Would you run the elections in parallel,
or better complete the PTL elections first ? What happens if someone
becomes a PTL for two projects or programs (think markmc getting elected
in both "oslo" and "release" programs) ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack