[openstack-dev] TC membership evolution, take 2

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu May 30 15:55:23 UTC 2013

Honestly, I think the flat (no category or PTL requirements) 11 has
the advantage of simplicity, and likelyhood of attracting / electing
people that touch more than one project, which helps the TC have a
more global project POV. It also means that as the scope of OpenStack
changes we don't have to keep redefining what's an important category
and/or project.

My $0.02 of preference.

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Anne Gentle
<annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Anne Gentle
>> <annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the draft write up. I have some thoughts for discussion.
>>>
>>> You point to an idea number of 11 for the group size, and I would like
>>> some citation for where that number comes from. I know of the two-pizza rule
>>> in tech, and there's group research around "ten-groups" (saying eight to
>>> fourteen people in a group is about right for overcoming human nature and
>>> collaborating effectively, citing book Corporation Man by Antony Jay
>>> (Pelican 1975)). What causes you to land on 11? Could we say 10 or a range
>>> of 8-14 instead?
>>>
>>> Defining the ideal group size will help with scoring. For example, I
>>> don't think the difference between 11 members and 13 members merits a +2 vs.
>>> a +1 score.
>>>
>>> I also think the ideal number of members will help determine whether
>>> categories are useful, and further defining categories to discover how many
>>> there may be will help score that one better.
>>

>> The category model seems interesting, but I would like to be able to
>> consider a more concrete proposal. Should we work out a list of specific
>> categories?
>

> Yes! I was waiting for a range of values to see where my list from the old
> thread [1] might work inside a range.
>
> Storage
> Computing
> Networking
> Monitoring
> Operating
> Packaging
> Continuous Integration and Builds
> Doc
> QA
> Integration Testing
> API
> UI/CLI (Dashboard/clients)
>
> That's twelve, and I may not be including all the categories. Some do not
> have projects yet. There may be another category of "services on top of
> Computing" that I'm under-representing, thinking of Databases or Load
> Balancers or DNS that would rely on Compute to provide their service. How
> would we expand to include them?
>
> Anne
>
> 1.
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-January/004539.html