[openstack-dev] Translatable strings in CLIs

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Thu May 30 15:37:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 16:01 +0100, Hugh Saunders wrote:

> On 30 May 2013 15:27, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>
> wrote:
>         Should we do this work in the existing clients, or in the
>         unified client? https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/UnifiedCLI
>

> Interesting, I hadn't come across that. Would make sense to make
> messages in that translatable.
>

> I'd be interested in other opinions on whether it is sufficient to
> focus effort on the unified cli or if the existing per-project CLIs
> need translatable messages as well?

If I understand correctly, the unified CLI will be using the other
packages in library mode, so if any of the API portion of those packages
raise exceptions, it would be good to have those translatable.  Also,
I've seen something about making the REST APIs honor the Accept-Language
HTTP header; it might be worthwhile to investigate how that header might
be set from the libraries as well.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>