[openstack-dev] TC membership evolution, take 2

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed May 29 11:33:35 UTC 2013

On 05/28/2013 09:29 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Back in January we had a thread[1] about modifying how the Technical
> Committee members[2] are selected, in order to cope with future expected
> growth in the number of projects. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time
> to properly discuss it before we had to look into incubated projects
> graduation and setting up the Spring elections, so we decided to
> postpone this to the Havana cycle.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-January/004513.html
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/TechnicalCommittee
>
> To kick off this second attempt, we had an interesting session at the
> Design Summit where various goals were discussed and various solutions
> proposed and compared. I summarized the current state of affairs on the
> wiki at:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Membership_Models
>
> I'd like everyone interested with this discussion to have a look at this
> page. If you see goals that we missed, please suggest them on the thread
> here, along with how well each currently-proposed solution would score
> against it. Same if you think some model was not scored fairly against
> existing stated goals. Finally, if you have an alternate model which
> you'd like to suggest, feel free to do so. I'll keep the wiki page
> updated based on the ML discussion.
>
> Hopefully we can all come up with a generally-consensual model able to
> handle future growth of the project.
>
> Regards,

It's also worth adding some data to the Resistant category. For the All
11 directly elected there is a concern that 51% control of the voting
body controls all the seats.

As we're talking about ATCs, that shouldn't be an issue. For Grizzly the
number of contributors by company come out something like this:

Employers with the most hackers (total 533)
Rackspace                   53 (9.9%)
HP                          45 (8.4%)
Red Hat                     40 (7.5%)
IBM                         39 (7.3%)
Intel                       12 (2.3%)
NTT                         11 (2.1%)
Cisco Systems               11 (2.1%)
Mirantis                    11 (2.1%)
Canonical                   10 (1.9%)
SINA                        10 (1.9%)
Nebula                       9 (1.7%)

Exact numbers will vary depending on all the git repos you include (this
was core server / client projects, manuals, tempest, devstack, oslo) but
the various ways I've sliced things pretty much show no company with
anything much more than > 10%. That's a long way from 51%, and an
extremely long claw to get there.

I think the well founded gaming concerns on the board fall away when we
talk about the TC, because being an ATC requires actually doing
something besides just filling out a web form.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net