[openstack-dev] develop a Quantum plugin

Julio Carlos Barrera Juez juliocarlos.barrera at i2cat.net
Wed May 29 09:40:06 UTC 2013

Hi OpenStack community!

Our colleagues an me are trying to develop a Quantum plugin. We have not
found official guidelines to achieve it, only related stuff like this:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/quantum_server.html.
We found that we need to implement
'quantum/quantum_plugin_base_v2.QuantumPluginBaseV2' (
https://github.com/openstack/quantum/blob/stable/grizzly/quantum/quantum_plugin_base_v2.py).
We have an Ubuntu OpenStack instance. After developing a basic plugin, we
placed it on our OpenStack instance plugins folder
('/usr/share/pyshared/quantum/plugins' in our case). We created a folder
and placed inside our plugin with an empty '__init__.py' file. Then we
edited Quantum config file ('/etc/quantum/quantum.conf' in our case):

#core_plugin =
quantum.plugins.openvswitch.ovs_quantum_plugin.OVSQuantumPluginV2
core_plugin =
quantum.plugins.our_plugin_folder.our_plugin_file.OurPluginClass

Then we restarted our OpenStack server (with 'sudo service quantum-server
restart' in our case), but the log showed this error:

ImportError: No module named our_plugin_folder.our_plugin_file.

We have verified the folder and file names.

What are our mistake? Where can we find more information about it?

Thank you in advance!