[openstack-dev] For those using Quantum with devstack

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue May 28 14:34:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 14:56 +0900, Yoshihiro Kaneko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Change I78260871(Require oslo.config 1.2.0a2) was merged, but the problem
> was not solved at least in my environment.
> oslo.config 1.2.0a2 does not seem to be installed.
> 2013-05-24 04:47:00 + sudo PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHE=/var/cache/pip HTTP_PROXY=
> HTTPS_PROXY= NO_PROXY= /usr/local/bin/pip install --use-mirrors -r
> quantum.egg-info/requires.txt -f
> http://tarballs.openstack.org/oslo.config/oslo.config-1.2.0a2.tar.gz#egg=oslo.config
> <snip>
> 2013-05-24 04:47:00 Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to
> upgrade): os
> lo.config in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from -r
> quantum.egg-info/re
> quires.txt (line 20))

Two things:

  1) the requires.txt generated by pbr just has 'oslo.config' listed as
     the requirement, so pip thinks that requirement is already
     satisfied

  2) we're passing the tarball URL via '-f' which means that pip looks
     there for packages to satisfy the requirements, rather then always
     installing the tarball. That makes sense, the URL may be to a
     version which is older than the currently installed version.

This brings us back to this:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-February/005975.html

Something like this in pbr might do the trick:

  -            requirements.append(re.sub(r'\s*https?:.*#egg=(.*)$', r'\1',
  -                                line))
  +            requirements.append(re.sub(r'\s*https?:.*#egg=(.*?)-(.*)$',
  +                                       r'\1>=\2', line))

We'd make the URL be:

  http://tarballs.openstack.org/oslo.config/oslo.config-1.2.0a2.tar.gz#egg=oslo.config-1.2.0a2

and that would give us:

  oslo.config>=1.2.0a2

in requires.txt

However, we'd need to figure out some way to make this pbr change
without screwing up existing users of the library.

For havana-1 (i.e. today), I guess we have three options:

  1) Get the change above into PBR and released to PyPi, then update
     the tarball URL in quantum as above

  2) Revert the changes to Quantum which require latest oslo.config

  3) Release oslo.config 1.2.0a2 to PyPi, exposing Grizzly users to the
     development branch of oslo.config

At this point, I'm thinking we need to do (2) and get (1) figured out
ASAP after havana-1. I'll look at getting the reverts proposed.

On a related note, though, I see Monty has added pbr to devstack:

  https://review.openstack.org/28590

IMHO, it makes just as much sense to include oslo.config in devstack. We
should always be testing trunk with the trunk version of oslo.config.

Cheers,
Mark.