[openstack-dev] [Metrics] Keeping up with review requests

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 28 14:06:01 UTC 2013

On 05/28/2013 09:12 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> One question I ask myself regularly is, "are we keeping up with review
> requests?"
>
> I could really use some data to help answer this question.  To start
> with, I'd like to see:
>
> For the projects under a given review team (such as nova and
> python-novaclient for the nova-core team)
>
>   - How many open reviews are open?
>
>     - Of the open reviews, how many are waiting for reviewer feedback?
>        - (a change with no -1 or -2 votes)
>        - of these, what's the average wait time?
>        - which top (5?) have been waiting the longest, and for how long?
>
>     - Of the open reviews, how many are waiting for updates from the
> submitter?
>        - (a change with -1 or -2 votes present)
>        - of these, what's the average wait time?
>
> Has anyone written anything to measure something like this?
>
> I'm also interested in feedback on the specific numbers to collect.

Fwiw, I've been thinking about exactly the same issue for Tempest. I
haven't started writing it yet.

I was thinking of the presentation layer being a periodic email to the
core team, with the following sections:

Reviews with a +2 and no -1s (i.e. potentially easy merges)

Reviews with no feedback from core team in 48 hours.

Reviews you've been involved in, that have commentary since your last go
around.

I was also imaginging other metrics that I use in my head when going
after reviews, like smallest patches (again, should be easy to make a
decision on).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague