[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Realtime push-based communication PoC

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue May 28 08:22:28 UTC 2013

Hey Tomas,

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 09:29 +0200, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> On 05/24/2013 08:36 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Tomas Sedovic <tsedovic at redhat.com
> > <mailto:tsedovic at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >     I wonder if we could leverage Ceilometer here since it already
> >     listens in on the message bus. Could it be configured to send
> >     interesting information to Horizon (as opposed to being polled for it)?
> >

> > This really feels like a different use case that what ceilometer is made
> > for. Gabriel and I talked at the grizzly summit about the code we have
> > in ceilometer for listening to notifications, and we agreed to try to
> > put that in oslo somewhere to make it easier to create a similar
> > listening service in horizon that redirects the notifications to the
> > browser(s). I haven't had a chance to do that. If you want to tackle it,
> > I can help figure out which bits are interesting/useful.
>
> Thanks, I thought that might be the case but I didn't know enough to be
> sure.
>
> Putting the bits to oslo sounds like a neat idea.

The notifications listening API is basically the last API design task
for the oslo messaging API:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/Messaging#Handling_Notifications

> I'm certainly willing
> to look into it, but I'd like to get some feedback on this first.

I guess the question comes down to whether Horizon itself should be
listening on the message bus or whether we have some other agent consume
notifications and send them to Horizon via socket.io?

Cheers,
Mark.