[openstack-dev] [Heat] On how to handle multiple template formats

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon May 27 11:10:20 UTC 2013

Or, more specifically, _where_ to handle multiple template formats. Two
options have been proposed (with patches, even!):

In the API:
     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30405/
In the Engine:
     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30439/

As Steve H correctly points out in the reviews, the question of which is
preferred comes down to whether we should translate to some internal
format immediately on reception of the template, or if we should delay
until it is received by the engine. Originally it was thought by
everyone that translation would need to happen immediately, and this
assumption is captured in https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Vision.

However, to my mind this comes with a major disadvantage: the plan, as I
understand it, is to initially translate HOT documents to the
currently-native CloudFormation format to allow experimentation with
HOT. However this has a very short horizon of usefulness - the entire
purpose of HOT is to express things that cannot be expressed in the
CloudFormation format (indeed, to the extent that it represents only a
less-documented version of the same thing with different names, it would
be worse than useless). So this would be followed quickly by an
inversion of the translation and a switch to HOT as the native format of
the engine - a switch that afaict would need to be pulled off in one
massive hit.

By contrast, putting the code in the engine offers the prospect of a
more incremental way of changing over: by gradually replacing code that
directly manipulates the structure of the template data with
programmatic interfaces to to it (e.g. instead of doing
template['Parameters'] and getting a JSON tree back, call
template.parameters() and get a Parameters object back). No doubt this
will present difficulties with maintaining two parallel template
formats, although it's hard to say how much worse that would be than
maintaining the translation code.

I believe that one of the reasons for our original instinct that
translation would need to happen on input was the uncertainty around how
we will deal with templates that are composed of multiple files. (This
is already a pain point, with AWS::CloudFormation::Stack resources
having to obtain their templates from a URL.) TOSCA solves this with zip
files, and if we were to follow suit then the need for some translation
on the front end would be basically a given.

One concern I have with the HOT discussion as I have understood it so
far is that it seems to propose the template format as a bit of a "file
soup" - you throw a bunch of files at Heat, which figures out how they
relate to each other and forms them into a stack. This is, of course,
fairly trivial to do in code, but for the person reading or writing a
template it is not so easy. I would prefer something more akin to the
current system (including the proposed Provider blueprints), which is
essentially hierarchical. You start with one thing that is The Template
and can dig down into subsystems (nested stack templates) or
implementations (provider templates) - and, in HOT, other resources like
scripts or configuration management data. This gives the user a mental
foothold[1] from which to begin interpreting the template.

I'd like to propose in more concrete form an idea that I started kicking
around on the mailing list a few weeks back[2], but which didn't
engender any discussion at the time.

* Templates could reference external files using a function similar to
"Ref", but for files. I'm leaning toward it being called "Url" and it
accepting both relative and absolute URLs. (Other options might be
"File" or "Include".)
* Clients (i.e. python-heatclient) could recursively parse templates for
{"Url": "..."} references, and ensure all of the necessary files,
including e.g. relative file paths, are included in the request. (This
is the reason for the function - the client need not know anything else
about the template format.)
* We would take advantage of our APIs being JSON/YAML-only to simply
include all of the files inline in a request (either as JSON or as
strings). This gives us the advantages of zip files, without the
disadvantages (opaqueness to diffs being the major one).
* Files other than the top-level template would be passed as a
dictionary/map keyed by the URL in the "Url" function. The engine, when
interpreting a "Url" function would first look in the files map, before
attempting to fetch from the URL if necessary and appropriate.

A trivial example of what a ReST API POST request might look like:

{
     "stack_name": "{stack_name}",
     "parameters": {
         "param_name-1": "param_value-1",
         "param_name-2": "param_value-2"
     },
     "timeout_mins": {timeout_mins},
     "template": {
         "parameters": {
             <elided> ...
         },
         "resources": {
             "nested-stack-1": {
                 type: "os::orchestration::stack",
                 template: {"Url": "./substack-1.template"},
                 parameters: {"param_name": {"Ref": "param_name-1"}}
             },
             "nested-stack-2": {
                 type: "os::orchestration::stack",
                 template: {"Url": "./substack-2.template"},
                 parameters: {"param_name": {"Ref": "param_name-2"}}
             }
         }
     },
     "files": {
          "./substack-1.template": {
              <elided> ...
          },
          "./substack-2.template": {
              <elided> ...
          }
     }
}

(only the "files" section is new from the API's point of view).

I would really like this to be able to replace the blueprint that I
proposed earlier for uploading provider templates and storing them in
the engine[3]. I have always feared that that proposal will result in
the sort of statefulness that reduces the chances of anybody ever being
able to launch the same stack twice to near zero. Whether this can
replace that, however, depends very much on what the "Environments"
feature ends up looking like, and figuring that out is another
discussion[4]. (One thing that would help: an option to specify a
different URL Base in the environment for providers.)

Getting back to the topic at hand (remember that?), I believe that
handling multiple input files in roughly this fashion, or something
equivalent, would obviate the need to do translation of templates at the
API level and tilt the calculus in favour of doing it in the engine.

cheers,
Zane.

[1] Sorry.
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-May/008703.html
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/provider-upload
[4] Angus has suggested an interesting starting point here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Environments