[openstack-dev] [State-Management] Locks locks locks

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri May 24 21:12:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Since there was a lot of talk on the last IRC meeting for state-management about locking I thought I would start to capture what the taskflow library might be able to provide for these use-cases.

I have started writing this all up @ https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StructuredWorkflowLocks

Since locks are key to ensuring that workflows in OpenStack are consistent & correct I would like this to be an especially 'concrete' wiki that describes the desired goal (and potential solutions).

Comments and more discussion is welcome :-)

P.S.

Likely we will need a best practices page in the future that describes how locks should be used to ensure ordering problems don't arise. Hierarchal locking is likely one of those patterns.

Interesting reads of the week that is related to all this:
- http://www.drdobbs.com/article/print?articleId=200001985&siteSectionName=parallel (see pillar #3)
- http://www.drdobbs.com/article/print?articleId=204801163&siteSectionName=parallel

-Josh