[openstack-dev] For those using Quantum with devstack

Zhongyue Luo zhongyue.nah at intel.com
Thu May 23 03:41:33 UTC 2013

Hi team,

First of all, I apologize to the QA team for not communicating with you.
I implemented oslo bp cfg-lowercase-group and caused the frustration of
Quantum not working well with Devstack.

Let me first share what I was thinking when writing the Quantum patches to
change group names to lowercase.
As of oslo.config 1.2.0, all group names in conf files will be normalized
to lowercase in order to have consistent group name formats across
OpenStack projects.
And since the conf files had to be backwards compatible, the original plan
was to normalize the group names when read from the conf files and
referenced in the code.
However, we decided to only normalize group names when read since projects
which were using capital group names can fix to reference lowercase group
names in Havana.
And the patch merged in oslo.config

Now Quantum trunk had to reference group names in lowercase in order to use
oslo.config 1.2.0.
And to ease code reviewing load, I started changing each capital letter
group names to lowercase.
This went well until I realized I didn't consider devstack in gating.

So here is the solution I propose.

To resolve this situation I was planning to write patches to DevStack where
it does the same iniset of quantum options in capital letter groups again
in lowercase groups.
That way all gate tests will patch and at the end when Quantum references
all group names in lowercase, we can remove the duplicated inisets in
devstack.

Another solution is for me to send in one huge patch to Quantum which 1)
updates oslo.config to 1.2.0 and 2) changes all group name references in to
lowercase.

Sorry again for the confusion. Let me know what you think.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Clark Boylan <clark.boylan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Robert Collins
> <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> >> So should devstack be doing this? And even if it did, I think this
> >> will break the way Robert is deploying. I think this change may
> >> need some more thought it appears.
> >
> > I believe that is because Quantum still only lists 1.1.0 as a
> > dependency: the gate uses trunk rather than the pip installed
> > dependencies, which means the gate couldn't detect this (assuming
> > 1.1.1 does fix it).
> >
> > FWIW we don't deploy via devstack, but the process is fairly similar:
> > grab trunk, install it with deps from pypi + packages for openvswitch
> > etc, then go : so while there weren't tests to trigger it, my concern
> > is that the gate setup wouldn't detect the problem *even with tests*,
> > because the problem is a requirement file that isn't being honoured
> > due to the gate setup.
> >
> I double checked this by reading the devstack-gate logs and checking
> the projects list at [1]. And as far as I can tell oslo.config is
> installed as a normal dependency with pip from pypi (or our mirror).
> oslo.config would need to be in that projects list for it to be
> installed from source in the gate. So not quite trunk, but it isn't
> 1.1.0 either as 1.1.1 is available and pip prefers to use that
> version.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/master/devstack-vm-gate-wrap.sh#L22
>
> Clark

*Intel SSG/SSD/STO/DCST/CIT*
880 Zixing Road, Zizhu Science Park, Minhang District, 200241, Shanghai,
China
+862161166500