[openstack-dev] For those using Quantum with devstack

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu May 23 01:51:32 UTC 2013

On 23 May 2013 11:58, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) <kmestery at cisco.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 2013, at 6:33 PM, Clark Boylan <clark.boylan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery)
>> <kmestery at cisco.com> wrote:
>>> A recent change to Quantum to change the OVS config file to use lower-case [ovs] instead of capital [OVS] for this particular section in the config file caused me to spend a day wondering what was wrong with my setup. I've submitted a devstack change to fix this, the review is listed below for those interested. I'm unclear how this was approved into Quantum given that it pretty much broke everyone using devstack with the OVS plugin, I would have expected a matching devstack patch to make devstack work as well. Regardless, the change to devstack is relatively minor, but will thus make devstack only work with the latest version of Quantum, given this config file change. Since I don't believe devstack works with older versions of anything, I believe this to be ok.

> So, devstack is not updating oslo.config for both Fedora and Ubuntu
> for me. See here for Fedora 18:
>
> [kmestery at km-dhcp-64-188 ~]$ sudo pip-python list|grep oslo.config
> oslo.config (1.1.0)
> [kmestery at km-dhcp-64-188 ~]$

> So should devstack be doing this? And even if it did, I think this
> will break the way Robert is deploying. I think this change may
> need some more thought it appears.

I believe that is because Quantum still only lists 1.1.0 as a
dependency: the gate uses trunk rather than the pip installed
dependencies, which means the gate couldn't detect this (assuming
1.1.1 does fix it).

FWIW we don't deploy via devstack, but the process is fairly similar:
grab trunk, install it with deps from pypi + packages for openvswitch
etc, then go : so while there weren't tests to trigger it, my concern
is that the gate setup wouldn't detect the problem *even with tests*,
because the problem is a requirement file that isn't being honoured
due to the gate setup.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>