[openstack-dev] For those using Quantum with devstack

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Wed May 22 23:33:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery)
<kmestery at cisco.com> wrote:
> A recent change to Quantum to change the OVS config file to use lower-case [ovs] instead of capital [OVS] for this particular section in the config file caused me to spend a day wondering what was wrong with my setup. I've submitted a devstack change to fix this, the review is listed below for those interested. I'm unclear how this was approved into Quantum given that it pretty much broke everyone using devstack with the OVS plugin, I would have expected a matching devstack patch to make devstack work as well. Regardless, the change to devstack is relatively minor, but will thus make devstack only work with the latest version of Quantum, given this config file change. Since I don't believe devstack works with older versions of anything, I believe this to be ok.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30172/

I went digging through logs to figure out how this got past
gate-tempest-devstack-vm-quantum which gates all core and client
projects. In the gate test devstack configures quantum [1] and as part
of that copies the ovs plugin ini file from within the quantum tree.
Later on devstack configures the ovs plugin [2] but since we don't set
various settings like tunnels, mappings, or run this on xenserver none
of the `iniset OVS` calls are run in [3].

Long story short, the gate test is not sophisticated enough to have
caught this as it is just using the default ovs plugin ini. I do note
that oslo.config 1.1.1 is being installed into the devstack
environment so it is possible that even if we had a more sophisticated
quantum setup in the gate we would have missed this for CDers like
Robert. I would've expected this to work with oslo.config 1.1.1 for
Kyle if it does actually fix the problem. Kyle, maybe that is
something you can check?

[1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/37629/
[2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/37631/
[3] https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/quantum_plugins/openvswitch#L42