[openstack-dev] [opinion-wanted] Clients man pages

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 22 11:32:18 UTC 2013

Jakub Ruzicka wrote:

> GENERATED VS MANUAL
> ===================
>
> Although man pages can be generated the same way as help, a copy of help
> output doesn't bring any real value.
>
> Man page should provide something extra like:
>  * verbose descriptions of more complicated commands/options
>  * howto use the tool to solve common tasks
>  * examples of usage
>  * where to find more information
>
> Do you see any value in including the command list in man page without
> providing more detailed information than `$CLIENT help` does?

There is value in keeping the man page details together with the code
though, as it's easier to keep the two in sync. I agree that the "help"
output is not appropriate, but maybe there is still a way to generate
man page content from data that is stored in the code together with
options ?

> BLUEPRINT
> =========
>
> What is the best way to create a blueprint concerning multiple
> components (all the clients) in LP?

Unfortunately there is no convenient way to achieve this with blueprints
in LP. My suggestion would be to use a wishlist bug with a bugtask for
every affected client project. That would be the most efficient way to
track completion.

You can still link the bug to an openstack-manuals blueprint (like Anne
suggested) if you feel it's more discoverable this way.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack