[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Simplifying the definition of Meters in Ceilometer

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue May 21 08:55:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20 2013, Sandy Walsh wrote:

Hi Sandy,

> 1. Data comes in from somewhere (an Event)

I wouldn't call polling an event, but I get the idea.

> It would probably even be possible to use a format that could auto-generate the docs for these Meters.
>
> This could dramatically reduce the amount of code in Ceilometer today and
> greatly increase the ability for installers to customize it without code
> changes.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that could work for a lot of meters indeed. I didn't check which
ones would fail, but that might be acceptable.

That may sound even to be the good direction to me.

With your Event recording work on the way, I would envision a future
where we could avoid entirely the Meter storage and compute the meters
dyamically via the API based on Events. So we would store only Events.
Meaning that if we "transition" our current polling code to passing via
an intermediate Event format before Meter, we're preparing for the
future.

Thoughts? :)

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; freelance consultant