[openstack-dev] Fw: [OpenStack] [Glance] Reuse the image id when recreate an image in Glance which had been deleted

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon May 20 07:25:28 UTC 2013

On 17/05/13 11:33 -0700, Mark Washenberger wrote:
>   I wonder if the best solution here is to change the uniqueness
>   constraint in our tables (as has been mentioned in several other
>   OpenStack-related database discussions) so that deleted images do not
>   conflict with active images with the same uuid. As I recall, the best
>   practice suggestion was to key the uniqueness constraint off the pair
>   <uuid, deleted>. In this scheme, deleted is no longer a simple boolean,
>   but rather either 0 (not deleted) or equal to the auto-increment row id
>   (deleted).
>   Does that make sense?

That should work.

I must admit, I'm a bit worried about keeping deleted images in the
database, I see how that can be usefull (I guess) but I also think it
just makes the database bigger and the table slower - thinking about
really big environments and the fact that we're working on making
glance public.

I guess my question is, Do we really need them?

If so, would it make sense to move deleted images to a separate table
so that we can keep the images table smaller?

Cheers
FF

--
{ name: "Flavio Percoco",