[openstack-dev] [Nova][Quantum] Move quantum port creation to nova-api

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri May 17 23:06:20 UTC 2013

I often use the same analogy and Joshua; however I usually imagine a
slightly different workflow (and mapping to openstack services).
Copying Joshua steps when possible, my workflow is a bit like this:

1. Define specs for the physical box (i.e.: use nova flavors, and get
nova-api reserve an instance - abstract doesn't have to be libvirt).
2. Decide where the physical box should be placed in rack and ensure
available power switches and so-on (ie: have nova-scheduler place the VM in
a place 'where it makes sense' *)
3. Ensure networking is in place is in the data center to provide
connectivity to the virtual machine (ie: make sure Quantum sets up the
network infrastructure)
     This was referred as: Connect network-cables to router, configure
router ports/flows and so-on.
4. Build the physical box (i.e.: have nova compute transform the
reservation into a real instance)
4.a) plug the CPU and the memory modules (build the libvirt XML spec, or
create a vm record with XenAPI, or vSphere APIs)
4.a) Connect hard-drives to physical box (equivalent to downloading the
image from glance and/or talking to cinder to do the same - and then update
the VM record as necessary)
4.b) Connect network-cables to physical box (i.e.: plug the vifs in the
virtual network ports - and then, again, update the VM record)
5.  Turn on said box by pressing the power switch/button.
6. Report back to user that box is now ready for use.

* 'where it makes sense' == using the scheduling algorithm that best suits
what you need to do with that instance (call it application level affinity
or else, I understand very little about these things)

>From this thread, it seems there are several points of contention.
About  out-of-order execution of workflow steps, I would argue that it's
perfectly normal that you have the networking guy setting up switches and
routers while your compute guy is assembling the server. This why it is ok
for me if steps 3 and 4 are executed out of order. Step 5 should be
a synchronisation point; so you start up a VM only when you know networking
has been configured, the drives have been installed in the bays, and the
operating system has been installed. From what I gather, the blueprint
proposed by Aaron goes in this direction. If nova-api fails to setup
networking, the VM would never be started. (and I'm not saying this just
because he's on my team!)

About whether Quantum should take responsibility of plugging network cards,
this was one of my doubts in the early Quantum days. At the end of the day
the 'real-world analogy' helped me understand that when installing a server
the compute guy would not call the networking guy for plugging the NICs on
the MB and plugging the cables in the patch panel, but would probably do
that by himself. Of course one could not base system architecture on
analogies, and this is definetely an interesting discussion; to me however
it is not fundamental to the topic of this blueprint, which is about
provisioning network resources early in the instance creation process.
I did not have a chance to listen to Jun's talk at the Openstack summit. I
promise I will watch it and try to gather more insights in the flaws being
claimed here!

On the other hand, Robert has raised a very interesting points about bare
metal provisioning.
Doing early provisioning of the network in this case might not work, unless
you've already scheduled it. If there's an interest in having Quantum work
with Ironic, this is something we need to look into as well. My gut feeling
is that we might need a different Quantum plugin for Ironic, unless the
driver model that will come in ML2 would allow Quantum to handle also
physical network interfaces.

Another question from me is instead how this would work with the
nova-network provisioning model?
One of the reason for which network is provided on the compute node, is
that this allows quantum and nova-network to expose the same API interface
to the compute manager. If we move Quantum provisioning to nova-api, would
this invalidate this model?

I was hoping to keep this post short, but as it often happen with me, it
became a poem (more alike to Dante's Divina Commedia rather than
Skakespeare's sonnets).

Regards,
Salvatore