[openstack-dev] Dynamic Flavors Support

Michael J Fork mjfork at us.ibm.com
Fri May 17 20:20:05 UTC 2013

Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote on 05/16/2013 11:38:46 PM:

> From: Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
> Date: 05/16/2013 11:42 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] Dynamic Flavors Support
>
> On 05/16/2013 10:16 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> > I think that the general consensus is that the notion of dynamic
> > flavors is an unfavorable approach. Since we happen to be having this
> > discussion while an API redesign is happening, I'd say the more
> > productive path forward is to figure out how we want per-instance usage
> > to be exposed which makes sense both with and without fine-grained
> > resource tweaks. Perhaps a flavorRef is the wrong way.
> >
> > Right now, if you create an instance from flavor 1, then change the
> > parameters of flavor 1, the flavorRef will be wrong anyway. Before I
> > moved instance_type information to system_metadata, doing that would
> > even cause billing stuff to be incorrect. Lets figure out how to
> > represent the actual instance parameters in APIv3, which I think will
> > serve everyone's needs.
>
> Sounds like a good plan to me.
>
> As you said, given the timing with the v3 API work, we have an
> opportunity to do some refactoring here and do it "right".

Before we make any substantial changes, should we query the user-committee
(or similar group) to get feedback on the impact to operators and users of
the API?  I think the basic question here is do we retain the 1:1 linkage
between Server and Flavor where a Server links to a Flavor that can be
referenced by ID or do we move to a model where Flavor is the initial
template and post-provision the allocation is through a data structure that
is essentially the content of a Flavor today (but without the referenceable
ID).

> --
> Russell Bryant

Michael