[openstack-dev] VPNaaS

Eleouet Francois f.eleouet at gmail.com
Fri May 17 18:44:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was curious to know how strongswan was playing with namespaces, so I made
some test to figure out how it would work in a quantum router.

Great news is that Strongswann seems to work well when started in a
namespace: daemons open socket in the netns, and IPsec SAs & SPDs are set
up in the router netns and non visible in root namespace.

Bad one is that pid files location are hard coded in strongswan, as a
result, it's not trivial to start multiple daemons (like charon and pluto)
in different namespaces, here is the only (ugly) workaround I found so far:

#set up IPsec connection between two router namespaces on the same host:

ip netns add moon
ip netns add sun
ip link add veth-sun type veth peer name veth-moon
ip link set veth-sun netns sun
ip link set veth-moon netns moon

ip netns exec moon ip addr add 192.168.1.1/24 dev veth-moon
ip netns exec moon ip addr add 10.1.0.1/8 dev veth-moon
ip netns exec moon ip link set veth-moon up
ip netns exec moon ip link set lo up

ip netns exec sun ip addr add 192.168.1.2/24 dev veth-sun
ip netns exec sun ip addr add 10.2.0.1/8 dev veth-sun
ip netns exec sun ip link set veth-sun up
ip netns exec sun ip link set lo up

ip netns exec moon ipsec start
ip netns exec moon ipsec up moon-sun &

#here comes the uggly part: