[openstack-dev] How to guarantee success of the I Design Summit in HK

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri May 17 18:32:01 UTC 2013

I think mostly this is an issue of people who are use to being able to
attend now having (or just anticipating) difficulty.  As we start having
summits globally hopefully more people will have this problem, as we
globalize summit attendance everywhere will be difficult for some people.
This makes a discussion of remote experiences more important as previously
people excluded by travel issues didn't really know what they were missing,
but now they do.

To the initial question I'm not sure I'll be attending the "I" summit.
Things that factor into this are personal scheduling issues that are
unclear, whether I personally want to spend 23hr each way on a plane, and
to the least extent funding (I'm reasonably but not absolutely sure I could
get the trip funded).

If I don't go and I felt I needed to be part of particular session and
couldn't go I would try to find someone to proxy for me as others
mentioned, possibly watching a live stream[1] if available or at least the
session's etherpad which most if not all use.  But again the summit is a
start not an end of discussion so even with no summit contact I think
there's ample opportunity to participate in the direction for the next
release.

-Jon

[1] My experience running live streams of events is no one really watches
them especially across a 12hr time difference, having the video available
after the event is usually much more popular.