[openstack-dev] [Openstack][Glance][Nova]Grizzly-Deleting instance during snapshot leaves snapshot state in saving

Yang XY Yu yuyangbj at cn.ibm.com
Fri May 17 05:47:18 UTC 2013

Hi all stackers,

Now there are some bugs such as bug 1143659 and bug 1064386 opened in our
community which are related to the topic like my email title. When we do a
snapshot against a VM, the captured image will keep in queued from Glance
perspective and SAVING from Nova perspective if we delete the VM. And now
there are also some fixes for these bugs, but we do not reach an agreement
for them, so can we sit down here and discuss one best method for these
bugs? Thank you so much.

For one code review (Please refer to the review link
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/24820), it puts all error handling logic
in Nova. The fix is that when we deleted the VM which is in snapshot
state, we will also delete the image. But there is a problem that the end
user never know what's up for the image and why the image disappears. But
I still think it is the best method to fix the bug, because the image can
probably disappear in current design when there is error in image creating
process, image will be set to 'killed' state and Glance will never show
the 'killed' state.

For another code review (Please refer to the review link
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26941/,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26943/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26945/), this fix adds an 'error' state
for image in Glance and extend the update method to update status property
in GlanceClient. When the end user deletes the VM which is in snapshot
state, the Nova will delete the VM and invoke the rest API via
GlanceClient to update image state to 'error'.

So which one do you think is better to fix these bugs?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Yang Yu(于杨)
Cloud Solutions and OpenStack Development
China Systems & Technology Laboratory Beijing
E-mail: yuyangbj at cn.ibm.com
Tel: 86-10-82452757
Address: Ring Bldg. No.28 Building, Zhong Guan Cun Software Park,
No. 8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, ShangDi, Haidian District, Beijing 100193,
P.R.China