[openstack-dev] flake8 magic you should all know

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri May 17 02:24:36 UTC 2013

Hey all!

As you have all probably noticed, we're moving to using flake8 to run
pep8/pyflakes/hacking checks. It's awesome and fills the worlds with
magical ponies and flying cars. BUT - I realized that it's possible that
perhaps people don't read all of the documentation for everything. So I
wanted to share a quick trick.

flake8, in a fit of amazingness normally not found in python utilities,
knows how to read other people's config files. So - it actually reads
the config section in tox.ini even when it's not in a venv. That means
that, if your project has migrated to flake8 (that's most of you now)
just running:

flake8

Will get you a flake8 run with all the right options and includes and
excludes and everything. No wrapper scripts, no fake meat - only pure
bacon. (you have to have flake8 installed, natch)

Your friendly infra guy...

Monty