[openstack-dev] [Nova] core v3 APIs (was Glance/cinder Nova API proxying)

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Thu May 16 14:11:26 UTC 2013

On 05/14/13 at 09:18am, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> <snip>
>In a closely related issue there is also a blueprint covering promoting
>APIs to core and vice-versa and we'll need to get a consensus around
>this as well, so if anyone has any suggestions, please make them.

I'm assuming that core means on by default, and guaranteed to be on
because there's some enforcement of it being loaded.  If this is not the
case then disregard the rest of this post, but if it is I would like to
propose an alternative.

Since everything will essentially be an extension in v3 what if core was
just the default configuration value for extensions that should be
loaded.  And there would be nothing preventing them from being turned
off through configuration.

I bring this up mainly because not all hypervisors support the same
features.  Currently this is mainly addressing the proposed promotion of
console_output into core, which according to
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix would only be
supported by half of the virt drivers in Nova.  With the other
discussion happening around advertising capabilities in the API it seems
like we shouldn't force capabilities to be advertised if they're not
supported.

I suppose another way I could phrase the argument would be that I think
core, as I think it's currently defined, should not contain anything
that can't be supported by any Nova deployment.  Which I think pares it
down to a bare minimum of functionality that would be guaranteed to be
loaded.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this out here and see what others think.