[openstack-dev] FW: how to configure cisco plugin in devstack environment

Rich Curran (rcurran) rcurran at cisco.com
Wed May 15 00:42:21 UTC 2013

Hi Yuling -

Are you now using either an external nexus switch and/or the Nexus 1000 in your topology?
If not then I don't know why you would enable Q_PLUGIN=cisco in devstack's localrc.

But if you want to move forward regardless of available Cisco devices then you would have to follow the instructions listed in that web link below or you can add some additional information to the localrc file. Robert has put this info on a Cisco internal webpage so I'll cut/paste here. At some point (if he hasn't already) we should add this info to the devstack.org documentation.
Customization in localrc

In addition to existing DevStack variables, DevStack with Cisco plugin supports the following bash variables that can be defined in localrc.
declare -a Q_CISCO_PLUGIN_SUBPLUGINS

Supported values are:
    (openvswitch)
    (openvswitch nexus)
    (n1kv)
    (n1kv nexus)

Defines the subplugins that will be deployed with this DevStack. For example:

declare -a Q_CISCO_PLUGIN_SUBPLUGINS=(openvswitch nexus)
declare -A Q_CISCO_PLUGIN_SWITCH_INFO

The value has the following format:
 ({<switch_ip>=<username>:<password>:<ssh_port>[:<compute-host-name>:<nexus-port-connected-with>] })

Defines the nexus switch information used in the deployment. This is a bash associative array with nexus switch ip addresses as keys. Essentially, it defines the switch's access information, and the compute hosts that are connected to the switch. An example looks like
             declare -A Q_CISCO_PLUGIN_SWITCH_INFO= ([1.1.1.1]=admin:mySecretPassword:22:compute1:1/1:compute2:1/2)

If Q_CISCO_PLUGIN_SWITCH_INFO is not defined in localrc, it assumes no switch is used in the deployment. In that case, if the nexus subplugin is deployed (as indicated by the Q_CISCO_PLUGIN_SUBPLUGINS array), a fake switch (with a fake driver) will be deployed.

**** - Note - since you're not using any cisco devices I wouldn't declare this variable and have the fake nexus driver configured.
Rich