[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Developing a Quantum plugin for Tail-f NCS (Network Control System)

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Tue May 14 15:12:12 UTC 2013

On 05/14/2013 10:29 AM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
> On May 14, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Luke Gorrie <luke at tail-f.com> wrote:
>> Hi Kyle,
>>
>> 13 maj 2013 kl. 15:29 skrev Kyle Mestery (kmestery):
>>
>>> You will want to make sure you follow closely the ML2 work being done by Bob Kakura. The blueprint is here:
>>>
>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/modular-l2
>>>
>>> This work will lead to exactly the situation you want: Being able to run the LinuxBridge and/or OVS plugins at the same time as your new device control layer. Also, FYI, the Cisco plugin does exactly what you want already. We have model layers in there for running the OVS plugin and at the same time controlling Nexus switches. But we plan to integrate with the ML2 work being done by Bob as well, as it's the right way forward for this type of approach.
>>
>> Thanks very much for this pointer! I see that this is a major new restructuring that is happening right now as we speak :-)
>>
>> I have had a first-pass read through the ML2 code. I don't see yet how to insert my own device control layer into the mix. Could you perhaps say a few words about how you expect to do this with the Cisco plugin? That could really point me in the right direction.
>>
> The current Cisco plugin is composed of model layers which allow for passing the Quantum API calls into multiple "sub-plugins." We actually are able to run the OVS plugin in fact. With ML2, we would no longer have to do that. The plan would be to take our Nexus Plugin and make it an AgentNetworkDriver in the context of ML2. Based on my understanding of Bob's code here, that would make the most sense. Now, for what you want to do, maybe you want want to look at creating a ServerNetworkDriver. I'll let Bob comment on the availability of both types of network drivers, as I believe the ML2 work will be phased in between H1 and H2.

Hi Luke,

Kyle's information regarding the development plan for ML2 is correct.
The TypeDriver API is essentially complete in the current WIP patch. For
the H-1 milestone (in two weeks), the goal for the ml2 plugin is to work
with the existing L2 agents that belong to the linuxbridge, openswitch,
and hyperv plugins. These L2 agents communicate with the plugin via
AMQP-based RPC, and there is little or no involvement of the ml2
MechanismDrivers. Following this initial merge, the focus will be on the
MechanismDriver interface that is intended to support communication by
any means with SDN controllers, top-of-rack switches, etc.. The
MechanismDriver API will allow multiple drivers to participate in the
CRUD operations on networks, ports, and subnets, both as part of the DB
transaction and after the transaction is committed.

-Bob