[openstack-dev] [cinder] About Read-Only volume support

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue May 14 04:09:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM, lzy.dev at gmail.com <lzy.dev at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, Guys
>
> Form below link, it seems Xen can support R/O volume attaching also:
> http://backdrift.org/xen-disk-hot-add-block-device-howto
>
> "xm block-attach <Domain> <BackDev> <FrontDev> <Mode> [BackDomain]"
> the "mode" can be R/O and R/W (r and w).
>
> Any thoughts? if not I will update the etherpad to adding xen.
>
> Thanks,
> Zhi Yan
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Martin, Kurt Frederick (ESSN Storage
> MSDU) <kurt.f.martin at hp.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Alessandro, I have also updated the etherpad
> > (
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/summit-havana-cinder-multi-attach-and-ro-volumes
> )
> > to include the latest findings regarding R/O volumes. It appears that a
> > number of hypervisors do indeed allow for setting the volumes to read
> only.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kurt Martin

Thanks Zhi Yan, I had some conversations with folks at the summit and the
general concensus seemed to be that it was possible.  There's a BP for this
that met a bit of objection:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/shared-volume

perhaps we can work off of that and add some details to it.

Thanks,
John