[openstack-dev] [Nova] virt driver architecture

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon May 13 15:04:24 UTC 2013

On 05/09/2013 04:29 PM, Chris Behrens wrote:
> Yes, I think this makes a lot of sense.  At some point we need to come back around to bursting.  One big thing we want to get to is being able to burst from OS cloud to another OS cloud.  I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it, but it feels like something that is done at a cell level.  And with these other 'complex systems' like vSphere and whatever that manage their own pools of resources, you can think of them in the context of bursting as well.  It's just that, instead, we're bursting from OS to vSphere, etc.

But isn't a cell a privately-managed set of resources? In other words,
one OS cloud doesn't know about another OS cloud's cells. All it knows
about are the *published* segments/regions of an OS cloud -- in other
words, the regions and availability zones.

These concepts seem to be more akin to a Heat template and upper-level
orchestration than to cell-to-cell scheduling.

Best,
-jay