[openstack-dev] Working on the next patch while the current one in under review - git & gerrit question

Avishay Balderman AvishayB at Radware.com
Mon May 13 10:40:30 UTC 2013

Hi
I followed https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GerritWorkflow#Add_dependency
and got:

avishayb at ubuntu:~/quantum$ git fetch https://review.openstack.org/openstack/quantum refs/changes/45/28245/9 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD
>From https://review.openstack.org/openstack/quantum
* branch            refs/changes/45/28245/9 -> FETCH_HEAD
Note: checking out 'FETCH_HEAD'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at d906d80... multi-vendor-support-for-lbaas
avishayb at ubuntu:~/quantum$ git checkout -b lbaas_step1
Switched to a new branch 'lbaas_step1'
avishayb at ubuntu:~/quantum$ git branch --list
* lbaas_step1
  master
avishayb at ubuntu:~/quantum$ git review -R
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done
To ssh://avishayb@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/quantum.git
! [remote rejected] HEAD -> refs/for/master/bp/multi-vendor-support-for-lbaas-step0 (no new changes)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://avishayb@review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/quantum.git'

Any idea?

Avishay