[openstack-dev] BP discussion: Attach a single volume to a cluster (multiple hosts)

lzy.dev at gmail.com lzy.dev at gmail.com
Mon May 13 09:20:26 UTC 2013

Hi Kiran,

I have a question about R/O volume support for Cinder, I have also
added it into  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/multi-attach-volume.

I saw one comment be wrote there is: "Summit feedback: Not doing R/O
volumes due to the limited hypervisor that can support setting the
volume to R/O, currently only KVM has this capability".
But I consider the R/O volumes support is valueable and can be
implemented gracefully. I have a plan to implement a Cinder driver for
Glance (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/glance-cinder-driver),
under that case the R/O volume whitin Cinder backend will be created
and stored as an image. And base on the particular COW mechanism
(depend on Cinder backend store driver) on Nova side, the R/W image
(R/O volume based image + delta) can be used for the instance
normally.

IMO, it's related with your this idea/design, any input?

Thanks,
Zhi Yan