[openstack-dev] Exceptions being translated in projects

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon May 13 07:27:37 UTC 2013

On 10/05/13 10:39 -0600, John Griffith wrote:
>   On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Flavio Percoco <[1]flavio at redhat.com>
>   wrote:
>
>   I viewed this a bit differently, perhaps incorrectly...  But my logic
>   in the past has been don't do the translation in the raise, however if
>   we're adding a LOG output message along with the exception (whether
>   it's in a catch or otherwise) it seemed that the translation should be
>   there.
>   That being said, it seems we do have a bit of a mix even in just case 1
>   (the actual raise itself).  My thought is that the raise should not
>   have the translation but that any additional LOG call associated with
>   it should.

TBH, I'm not even sure whether *all* logs should be translated - since
that makes issues reports difficult to understand - but that's another
story. As for now, I'd agree to translate logs that are not ERRORS.

We do need some clean up around OpenStack wrt $subject but it seems to
me that it isn't clear what should be translated or not, which doesn't
help during reviews.

So, Which Exceptions should be translated?

My thinking is that no exceptions should be translated at all unless
they provide some information to the user (HTTP Exceptions, for
example).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
FF