[openstack-dev] [quantum] multi-node DevStack with bare-metal questions on setup

Paul Michali pcm at cisco.com
Fri May 10 15:28:40 UTC 2013

HI,

For testing, I wanted to setup DevStack on two nodes (one control/network, one compute) using bare-metal running Ubuntu 12.04 and using quantum networking (this is with Grizzly).

The H/W (HP Pro Liant) has two physical interfaces. I had a bunch of questions on how to set up the localrc, physical interfaces, and OVS.

If I make these assumptions:

private network 10.0.0.0/24
admin network 192.168.220.0/24
public network 192.168.221.0/24

Q1) Is it best to have admin network on eth0 and both data and public on eth1?
Q2) Should I use VLANs or tunnels (or doesn't it matter)?
Q3) Do I create a br-int and br-ex for the data network for the two nodes?
Q4) Do I need to create a bridge and port for the public net, on the control/network node?
Q5) How do I configure /etc/network/interfaces for the public network?
Q6) What do I need to specify in localrc for OVS settings?

Thanks in advance!

PCM (Paul Michali)