[openstack-dev] [glance] New blueprint to make vcenter templates available as glance images

Vaddi, Kiran Kumar kiran-kumar.vaddi at hp.com
Thu May 9 14:56:38 UTC 2013

The bp is referring to enhancing the nova driver for vCenter *clusters* only. Agree that Openstack manages KVM hosts and not the oVirt(might change in future). However in case of ESX, a lot of features of the vCenter are built at the cluster level (DRS/HA/Templates/VDS). And therefore for admins would like to leverage these features of the management software and also have the benefits of Openstack, the nova driver should use vCenter clusters as being done by the existing nova VMwareVCDriver.

The nova driver for the individual ESX hypervisor are *not* being changed and are not impacted by this bp.

Regarding the advantages - In an existing setup where the administrator already has templates in vCenter and wants to a manage new clusters added to the datacenter using Openstack, this bp will enable the reuse of the templates. Without this,
1. The admin has to upload all the template images into glance
2. Whenever any security patches/hotfixes are applied on the templates, the same will have to be done on the glance images as well.

The admin can still continue to upload images (qcow/vmdk) and these can also be used for instance creation. This bp only gives admin additional choice.

There would not be any code changes in glance to allow this. Only the changes will be in the vCenter nova driver in which it will read the metadata of the image and decide if it is a template or not. Since a template is confined to a vCenter, the nova driver will have to publish the vcenter it belongs to in its capabilities. A new filter would be required or existing image filter can be modified to consume this capability.

We have this working as a PoC and it was demo'ed in the Havana summit as well.

I'd try to join meeting on the IRC but its at 1.30AM my time.

Thanks,
Kiran