[openstack-dev] [glance] New blueprint to make vcenter templates available as glance images

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu May 9 13:10:53 UTC 2013

On 05/09/2013 02:45 AM, Vaddi, Kiran Kumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Request review and feedback for the blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/hypervisor-templates-as-glance-images)
>
> Rationale:
> VMware vCenter already has the deployable images in the form of "Templates". (Other hypervisors like RHEVM also have templates) This blueprint proposes to make
>   1. Glance to be aware the vCenter templates.
>   2. Avoid upload of VMware templates into the image server.
>
> This allows users to leverage their existing vCenter templates and vCenter template deployment optimizations.
> The same design can be extended to other hypervisors as well.

You use RHEVM (oVirt) as a comparable example here.  The problem is that
oVirt is *not* a hypervisor.  oVirt is a full-on virtualization
management system.  oVirt uses libvirt+KVM and Nova supports *that*, not
oVirt.

It seems like we're violating layers, here.  It feels like all of this
vCenter stuff is getting hacked in, even though it's not quite
appropriate for our architecture.

--
Russell Bryant