[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Common multi-backend cache library

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed May 8 16:37:53 UTC 2013

Greetings,

Today, I started working on a common, multi-backend cache library that
will, hopefully, be incubated in oslo[0] during havana. As part of the
design / draft phase, I put together some code and pushed it on my GH
account[1]. Now, I'm at the point that I would love to get some
feedback from the community so we can agree on the API and what's best
for it.

A few words about it:

It's inspired in both django's cache and oslo's memorycache modules
and implements the basic and expected (?) methods. It uses stevedore
for loading the different back-ends (inspired in the on-going
messaging re-factor branch).

There's not so much code but it already works. Implemented methods
are:

- set(sets a key)
- unset (un-sets a key)
- add (sets a key if it doesn't exists)
- incr (increments a key value, used for integer values)
- append (appends value to a key, some back-ends support this)

Target back-ends for the first release are:

- memory (stole, I mean, implemented)
- memcached
- redis
- file (?)

This is pretty much it. Any feedback, suggestion, use-case, code to
steal is very welcome.

Cheers,
FF

[0]