[openstack-dev] [Metrics] New version of the development dashboard (basics of the dashboard and look&feel)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue May 7 22:51:34 UTC 2013

On Tue 07 May 2013 04:35:52 AM PDT, Daniel Izquierdo wrote:
> The dashboard is now divided into 5 main areas:

Thank you Daniel, it's good to see the progress you're making. I
overlooked the links in the grey top area. Maybe it would be helpful to
highlight them as links, make them look like buttons or something.

> launchpad and mailing lists)
>  * List of projects: Information per project (Nova, Keystone, etc) is
> aggregated
>  * Comparison of projects: here you can compare activity per project
> for several metrics (commits, opened issues and others)

I'm not sure I'm convinced of the need to compare among projects. I'm
more interested to see per each project how the bugs opened-vs-closed
goes over time (for example). The report would be more effective if it
created a new chart per project and add lines to the charts based on
the selection on the right.

http://activity.openstack.org/dash/dashboard/

>  * Details per data source: information per data source is presented
> (you can for instance check activity in the git of Nova)
>  * Top contributors: main contributors in the source code, mailing
> lists and Launchpad.

This report is useful to produce at regular intervals, and comparing to
the previous interval. I think it would be more interesting to see the
trends of activity for different people/companies over time than an all
time ranking. A punch-card diagram for example, with time on the x axis
(months) and dots of different size based on the amount of activities
in the time frame (month).

> As you can notice, this is still work in progress and the following
[...]
>  * Although we're working on a Gerrit analyzer, commits reviewed and
> reviewers will disappear (at least for the moment)

I'm not sure I understand this last point

thanks,
stef