[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Give CLI the priority over config files

Mac Innes, Kiall kiall at hp.com
Tue May 7 16:55:19 UTC 2013

On 07/05/13 17:39, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> For example, Fedora's systemd config for nova-api is:
>
>   /usr/bin/nova-api --config-file /etc/nova/nova.conf --logfile /var/log/nova/api.log
>
> and you'd expect setting logfile in the config file to change the
> location of the log file.
Do we have any examples of other projects/commands following this
pattern? To me, this is very counter intuitive. CLI arguments,
regardless of who/what supplies them are almost always given then
highest precedence (to my knowledge).

This particular use case seems to be necessary in order to have
"../nova/api.log" rather than the default, "../nova/nova-api.log". Correct?

I wonder if there is a better way to achieve this, rather than supplying
it as a CLI argument? For example, Ubuntu's nova-compute upstart config
has this:

> exec start-stop-daemon --start --chuid nova --exec
/usr/bin/nova-compute -- --config-file=/etc/nova/nova.conf
--config-file=/etc/nova/nova-compute.conf

Could Fedora supply the logfile argument in a service specific config
file instead of a hardcoded CLI argument?

Thanks,
Kiall