[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] [Reddwarf] integration points as per tc meeting

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:42:44 UTC 2013

On May 7, 2013, at 3:17 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:

> On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 07:51:38AM -0700, Michael Basnight wrote:
>> As mentioned, below is the wiki article ive written to discuss reddwarf heat interaction.
>>
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReddwarfUsingHeat
>
> Couple of comments/questions, I'm referencing lines from the wiki page
> below:
>
>> Heat is going through a refactor in the next cycle
>
> This is not true - the community have told us they want specific new
> functionality, which we are aiming to provide, but we are not doing a full
> refactor or rewrite - there will be incremental additions leading to new
> features, probably including the ability for users to specify resource
> definitions via templates, and probably initial support for an alternate
> template syntax (the dsl discussion you mention)
>
> We will not be dropping support for our existing CFN-compatible template
> format, and any changes made to our internal data-model will be incremental
> to minimise the risk of regressions - ie we absolutely will maintain our
> existing functionality.

Makes sense.

>> heat installs guest, heat signals to task manager its finished
>> guest takes over
>
> Can you clarify what "guest takes over" means - do you have a special
> in-instance agent which handles securing the DB?
>
> I'm interested in understanding why you see the initial
> install/configuration (which can be handled by Heat) as a separate step
> from the subsequent "secures db" step.

Yes our guest agent runs a set of queries, removes some databases, etc. This is different from editing the my.cnf. If heat can do all this, then thats one less thing the guest has to do. [1]

[1] https://github.com/stackforge/reddwarf/blob/master/reddwarf/guestagent/manager/mysql.py#L753