[openstack-dev] Chaos drivers (idea)

Timothy Daly timjr at yahoo-inc.com
Tue May 7 00:06:39 UTC 2013

On May 6, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Dolph Mathews wrote:

> +1, and it takes a lot of effort to codify chaos around the boundaries (total chaos is easy but only catches obvious issues). Knowing the expected constraints of the interface is important when you want to exceed them.

The way I approached it was to take valid programs, (this was testing a little compiler), and perturb them randomly.  Do 5 random perturbations, then start over.  If you perturb based on the grammar of the language, they're real likely to be something the parser swallows, and you'll get into the meat of the thing.

But for the nova drivers something simpler like reflecting over the methods and replacing them with ones that sometimes throw or sometimes simply return without doing anything would actually be pretty interesting, I bet.

Cheers,
Tim