[openstack-dev] A proposal for RPC-friendly objects

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon May 6 20:36:53 UTC 2013

Hi all,

At the summit a few weeks ago, Chris Behrens and I colluded with
several other Nova developers to work on a proposal for implementing
objects in Nova that would ease some of the pain caused by moving to
always passing primitives over RPC. Our goals are:

1. Better organize and co-locate data with its implementation
2. More intelligently (de-)serialize object data over RPC
3. Version the format of the data to assist live upgrade

We've been working on some proof-of-concept code to do this, and I've
written up a wiki page describing what we're trying to do:

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ObjectProposal

We'd appreciate some feedback on the approach, as well as discussion
about whether something like this belongs in Oslo so that it can be
used by other projects.

Thanks!

--Dan