[openstack-dev] Overlapping scheduling proposals

Dugger, Donald D donald.d.dugger at intel.com
Mon May 6 19:15:24 UTC 2013

Rerngvit/David-

Looking over the mini-marathon proposals from the Havanna summit I think there's a bit of overlap between our 3 proposals:

	Utilization aware scheduling:
		http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/240

	Utilization based scheduling:
		http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/36

	Make scheduler host state extensible:
		https://etherpad.openstack.org/ExtensibleSchedulerHostState

I wondered if we could either coalesce them or at least agree that they are complementary with each other.

I know my BluePrint is reather miss labeled, what I'm really trying to do is allow the compute nodes to have plugins that collect data that is sent to the scheduler.  This way it becomes easy to extend the metrics available to the scheduler.

Rerngvit - I think your proposal is more about the data format/content that is sent to the scheduler.  I think this is definitely a case where your BP is complementary with mine and we can consider the two in parallel.

David - I'm not sure I completely understand where you are going.  Especially given that Ceilometer is acting as a central service maintaining metric data would it be more appropriate to utilize CM for what you are looking for?

--
Don Dugger
Ph: 303/443-3786