[openstack-dev] Interesting and representative performance workloads for OpenStack

Peter Feiner peter at gridcentric.ca
Mon May 6 15:00:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Ray Pekowski <pekowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I attended the OpenStack Summit session titled "Scaling the Boot Barrier:
> Identifying & Eliminating Contention in Openstack" given by Peter Feiner.
> It was very good and mentioned several VM boot bottlenecks that he
> identified and fixed and one unfixed major bottleneck in libvirt.  Peter
> mentioned he would either drive or make that fix.  If you have any input in
> that area it might be good to contact Peter.

So, it turns out that my research was out of date. In libvirt-1.0.3, the
big qemu lock was removed. My preliminary observations show that
parallel VM creation time is much lower with libvirt-1.0.3 than with
libvirt-0.9.8. I'm going to repeat my experiments with libvirt-1.0.3 and
report the results here.

Peter